Year 5 2019 - 2020
Miss Staward, Mrs Richardson, Mrs Houghton and Mrs Robinson
During our Maths topic of Place Value, we have:
- read, written, ordered and compared numbers to at least 1 000 000 and determined the value of each digit
- counted forwards and backwards in steps of powers of 10 for any given number up to 1 000 000
- interpreted negative numbers in context, counted forwards and backwards with positive and negative whole numbers, including through zero
- rounded any number up to 1 000 000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1000, 10 000 and 100 000
- solved number problems and practical problems that involved all of the above
- read Roman numerals to 1000 (M) and recognised years written in Roman numerals
During our Maths topic of Addition and Subtraction, we have:
- added and subtracted whole numbers with more than 4 digits, including using formal written methods (columnar addition and subtraction)
- added and subtracted numbers mentally with increasingly large numbers
- used rounding to check answers to calculations and determine, in the context of a problem, levels of accuracy
- solved addition and subtraction multistep problems in contexts, deciding which operations and methods to use and why
We have just started our Maths topic of Multiplication and Division and have already:
- identified multiples and factors, including finding all factor pairs of a number, and common factors of two numbers
- used the vocabulary of prime numbers, prime factors and composite (nonprime) numbers
- established whether a number up to 100 is prime and recalled prime numbers up to 19
During our Maths lessons, we have used equipment to help us understand the value of digits and deepen our learning further. We have also used them to supoort our lerning of column addition and subtraction. Here are some photos of us in our Maths lessons.
In Literacy this term, we have had a huge focus on reading for pleasure. We even practised our reading in some unusual places. Reading at every opportunity we have, inside and outside of school, helps us work towards our school reading challenge. Take a look at the photographs of us reading at home.
Science - Space
Our first Science unit in Year 5 was out of this world!
To begin the topic, we were interested in the terms ‘asteroid’ and ‘craters’, so we designed an investigation which would help us find out how the weight of an asteroid affects the size of a crater. Using weights dropped from various heights and flour, we were able to see the difference in the impact and the crater created. After completing the investigation, we were able to explain how the size of craters differed. Using a science model, we began to look at the distances between the planets and how far away each planet, in the Solar System, is from the Sun – it was fascinating! Once we knew the distances between the planets, we began to think about the size of them, so using fruit to represent them, we were able to compare their size and see just how small Earth is compared to other planets. After seeing how small Earth was, we wondered how day and night were created and used a model to show the rotation of the Earth on its axis and how it orbits the Sun. We were also able to use this to understand how seasons are created throughout the year. Thinking about the Earth orbiting the Sun, we tracked the movement of the Earth throughout the day using our shadows and made conclusions about why the shadows were changing.
It was really exciting to learn about the phases of the Moon, especially when we got to use Oreos as a model to represent each of the phases. Yum!
To end our topic, we were blasted off into Space to experience each planet and learn more about them with a Virtual Reality experience! Some of children really felt like they were in Space and reached out to try to touch the planets. It did not give us a very nice feeling when we left Earth though; it was strange to see our planet from such a different angle.
Click here to take a look in our Gallery to see photographs of some of the wonderful experiences we have had during this topic.
Click here to take a look at clips and photographs of our VR experience.
RE – Islam
As part of our R.E. curriculum we studied the religion of Islam and looked at what Muslims believe about the mosque and how it is a place in the community. We also looked at the Qur’an and how this is treated. We learned about the six beliefs within the religion and the five pillars.
We had the opportunity to look at prayer mats and the Qur'an in class, here are some photographs of us.
Geography – Mexico
After half term, we will be looking at the geography of Mexico. We will locate some of the countries of North America and study their climates. We will become super confident when using four figure grid references to locate places on a map.