Medication/ First Aid
Managing Medication lead : Mrs Douglas
The Governors of Hetton Lyons Primary School have agreed the following procedures for Managing Medication in School.
- Only prescribed medicine to be administered in school accordance with the School Medication Policy.
- Non prescribed medicines are not accepted in school under any circumstances so should not be given to a child to bring into school.
- Parents must complete an administration of medication form at school. This form must be signed by a parent with parental responsibility.
- All medication must be brought into school and collected by a parent/carer.
- Medication can only be accepted if prescribed by an authorised prescriber such as a Doctor, Pharmacist, Dentist or Nurse Prescriber.
- A child refusing medication will not be forced but parents/carers will be informed as soon as possible.
- Medicine must be in date and have an expiry date attached.
- Keep medication in a secure lockable cabinet or fridge.
- Administer medicines at the correct time.
- Keep comprehensive records of administration.
- Inform Parents/Carers of any side effects.
Children who are generally unwell should not be in school and should not return to school until they are fit to participate in the curriculum as normal.
We ask children who have a sickness bug are kept home for 48 hours.
In the event of illness or accident occurring during the school day the school will make every effort to contact parents/carers.
Parents/carers are responsible for providing up to date emergency contact numbers.
If you require further information, a copy of the School Medication policy is available by contacting the school office.